Top 5 scariest moments in non-scary films

 

Top 5 scariest moments in non-scary films

By Amin Sulaman

Now as we all know, horror films are loved by its gruesome deaths, its psychological frights, and of course its jump scares. However, they aren’t the only sort of films to produce a delightful moment to frighten the audience, I am going to be looking at picks for my top 5 scariest moments in no-scary films. Remember this is just my opinion so take it with a pinch of salt.

 

5.  The Child Catcher – Chitty Chitty Bang Bang


Now I know what you’re thinking. It’s not a jump scare or a frightening moment, but it is a character I was scared of for many years after watching this classic of a film. The reason why this is number 5 is because of the way the actor played the character but also because of the music that gets played when he is about. The way he used to snatch children and lock them up will always be scary in my eyes, especially with the way he is dressed and also because of the way he called the children “Kiddie-Winkies” thinking about it now makes me creeped out to the fullest extent.

4. The opening of the ARK - Indiana Jones Raiders of the lost Ark

Indian Jones is one of my favourite series of movies due to the nature of how the action runs throughout them and no to forget the unforgettable and amazing acting of Harrison Ford as Henry "Indiana" Jones Jr. In all of the films, there have been some scary moments, from the Kali Ma scene in the Temple of Doom to the death scene when drinking the wrong cup in the Last Crusade but nothing comes close to the face melting scene in the Raider of The Lost Ark. When i first watched the film and saw this scene I hated it, I did not enjoy the melting of the face no matter how fake it looked. It scared me from the way the face looked to the screaming that took place with it. Now I can watch it with ease, but when you're a child, this scene is not fun at all.

3. The Tunnel Scene - Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)
Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory - a classic children's movie, a movie which has been loved for years. A movie which was remade my Tim Burton. A movie you would not think would have a scary moment in it. But, you would be wrong, This instant classic from 1971 is a movie i love to watch no matter when it comes on TV however, that tunnel scene gave me nightmares. The way the camera moves and the lights and the music makes the child in me shake. The scene starts nicely but then turns into the one scene i will continue to skip and walk away from when it does come on. The rest of the film is a lot easier and smoother to watch once you get past the nightmare tunnel.

2. The Wheelers - Return to OZ
For my number 2 spot, it was a choice between the flying monkeys or the Wheelers. I had to go with the Wheelers simply because the scene when we first meet them in the Return to OZ is the reason I will never watch this film again. I mean look at them, i hate them, their dumb faces and their wheels make me sick. How are you going to create such an evil looking creature that can outrun you and catch you instantly, and it is in a children's film. Whoever wrote the script and directed the movie you have done me dirty. I will never watch this again. Never.

1. Bilbo Baggins makes a grab for the One Ring - Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

 Now yes, I may be slightly biased placing this at number 1 since the Lord of the Rings are my favourite film and book series of all time. However, this scene will forever be scary in one of the greatest fantasy films that has graced the silver screen. Regardless of what everyone thinks when Bilbo reaches for the One Ring around Frodo's neck the face he pulls is enough to scare you. Why? Because in a fantasy film that started quite tame you see a scary face and a scream that can make anyone jump. Now, it is one of my favourite scenes of the film. But as a child i was scared of Bilbo, who we don't meet again until the final film (Return Of The King) when he sails with Frodo and Gandalf to the undying lands. 


So there you have it, my top 5 scary scenes in non-scary films. I hope you enjoyed my picks, if not then feel free to let me know your top pick !

Comments