Ranking Sweeney Todd Productions

I will be creating a list of Sweeney Todd productions that have been on Broadway or the West End (or of equal stature) and ranking them. This will take into consideration cast, costume, set, musical arrangement, everything.
I have totally consumed these shows in (ahem) legal ways.
FULL disclosure, I'm naturally a pessimistic person so I will naturally pick apart these shows in a negative light, don't get upset about it.
If you have a different ranking, feel free to let me know in the comments, I'm eager to know everyone's thoughts!


Original Broadway Cast (1979)

The original Broadway production of Sweeney Todd holds a large places in the hearts of many theatre fans, particularly those who are Sondheim connoisseurs. While I have to appreciate this production for being the first (as without it, we would not have the other productions), I have to say, overall, I do not like it. 
Firstly, as an English person, it is incredibly hard to look past the accent work in this production. It is hard not to assume that Dick Van Dyke did not serve as the first cockney training assistant to Angela Lansbury. The singing is at times pitchy, but Sondheim did say that he preferred to have actors who could sing than singers who could act so with this in mind the casting makes sense.
The set is decent, and the ensemble sounds amazing and the orchestration is perfection. 
Ranking: 6/10

Original London Cast (1980)

There are a lot of similarities between this production and the original Broadway one, for example, the sets and costumes are very similar. The chemistry between Mrs Lovett and Sweeney is much improved in this production in my opinion, and the accents are also improved, although, considering it is an English production, not by much. However, the standard of singing decreases overall.
Ranking: 5/10

First Broadway Revival (1989)

I have not been able to watch this full production, there is comparatively little about this revival online, but I have managed to find a few clips of the staple songs that a few sneaky audience members uploaded to YouTube.  It is often mocked and referred to as Teeny Todd due to the small size of the orchestra, it would seem that the reason for that was because of the experimental type of staging that was used. 
Beth Fowler, who was cast as Mrs Lovett, has a wonderful voice quality and a consistent accent from what I have heard. However, Eddie Korbich was not destined for the role of Toby.
Ranking: 8/10

First London Revival (1993)

Alun Armstrong and Julie McKenzie make a wonderful pair in this production of Sweeney Todd. They each have wonderful voices and accents. I dislike the costume choices as I think they look a bit too high school theatre quality and not West End quality. The staging is more traditional than the aforementioned Broadway revival, but despite not revolutionising musical theatre, it is still a fantastic production. The ensemble also sound amazing. 
Ranking: 9/10

LA Concert Production (1999)

Kelsey Grammer and Christine Baranski are phenomenal theatre performers, although I will say that Baranski easily outshines Grammer. The makeup was a bold choice, particularly on Grammer, not one I would bother repeating. The singing is amazing, as if anyone had any doubt that either of these performers would knock it out of the park. 
Ranking: 7/10

First New York Philharmonic Concert Production (2000)

Obviously the orchestration of this performance is absolutely beautiful. But... (and I'm about to be controversial here), as much as I adore and admire Patti LuPone as a theatre goddess, I do not like her in the role of Mrs Lovett. I cannot quite put my finger on what it is that makes me dislike this casting, something about it just does not fit right to me. All the actors in this production really struggle with accents, most surprisingly being Neil Patrick Harris, who takes up the role of Toby. I will compliment the chemistry between Hearn and LuPone though.  
Ranking: 4/10

Second Broadway Revival (2005)

This was brave. Having orchestration on stage and technically only one person as an entire ensemble was brave. However, I believe that the risk did not pay off. The orchestration was weak, and the staging looked like experimental drama university theatre. The costumes give me the vibes of a cheap prohibition themed party. Vocally the soundtrack sounds so empty. The direction and blocking does not make sense and even the cast looks confused on stage.
Ranking: 2/10

Film adaptation (2007)

A lot of fans of the stage musical really disliked the movie adaptation. However, I'm inclined to disagree with them. While drastically different from its stage origins, the more eerie and darker tones that Tim Burton chose to take with the movie fit seamlessly into the murderous plot and make it seem different enough that the movie stands up on its own without being compared too closely with its stage counterpart. 
The costuming in this movie is sheer perfection, and by far my favourite. Colleen Atwood truly earned her nomination for Best Costume Design at the Oscars. 
While I think the casting for this movie was gold standard as far as movies in the 2000s go, I wish that Helena Bonham Carter's voice was more powerful, but given the darker tone of the movie, her whisper-talking tone is more forgivable than it would be on stage. Jayne Wisener sings Green Finch and Linnet Bird beautifully but I long for a hint of mania from an influence such as Betsy Joslyn, just a hint, though. 
Johnny Depp listens to a lot of David Bowie, and you can tell that by the way he sings in this movie, not that that is a criticism, just an analysis.  
Ranking: 7/10

Third London Revival (2012)

The third London revival in 32 years. But considering the fact that the show is set in London, it makes perfect sense. I reserved judgement when this cast was first announced, as I was just then reaching my snobby theatre kid stage of no-cast-is-better-than-the-original-cast. But I was blown away by the quality of this production. While I do have some personal criticisms, I'm not a fan of the costuming, nor do I like the choices with regards to the set (although I do acknowledge it was what was fashionable at the time). 
This is, by far, the best cast production of Sweeney Todd I have seen. Imelda Staunton is phenomenal, and her chemistry with Michael Ball is fantastic. I just wish that this production had a complete cast recording!
Ranking: 9/10

Second New York Philharmonic Concert Production (2015)

The same compliments as the first Philharmonic performance of Sweeney Todd, the orchestration is simply stunning. I enjoyed the replacement of certain sets with instruments, such as Mrs Lovett's table with a drum. 
But the costumes are terrible, I find it especially unforgiveable when costumes do not look good in a concert production as they do not need to be as practical as a full stage production. 
Erin Mackey sings a lovely rendition of Green Finch and Linnet Bird, but while Emma Thompson has wonderful accent work, her singing leaves much to be desired. Her acting is full of energy but it is clear that her singing could not keep up as she sounds quite out of breath at various points in the concerts, particularly in Worst Pies in London.
Ranking: 5/10











Comments