Little Nightmares II Review


 

Little Nightmares II Review

Little Nightmares II follows the same theme of the original game. A horror themes puzzle game that again is available across all gaming platforms and has added recent visual upgrades to the next-gen console editions. With this game you venture through the world as the masked hero Mono, donning a trench coat and paper bag for a hat. Get yourself ready for another game that will test your nerve and knowledge as you explore this dark and gloomy world.

As previously stated I am not a huge horror game connoisseur however, I was excited to play Little Nightmares II as I really enjoyed the original game. This game starts in the same manner as the original teaching the basics and how the game works. For the first hour or so of the game it feels very similar to the original (which is a good thing), testing you and giving lots of opportunities for further exploration. However, it is after you learn the mechanic to use the new wrench/hammer or whatever smashy item you find. I found this mechanic to be very clunky and I needed to repeat the same scenes over and over due to the very finicky controls. This completely lost the immersion and suspense the game was previously building up. This was the case in a lot of sections of the game later on too. Very difficult and precise movements were required to pass certain parts of the game which added unnecessary difficulty to the game and lost my interest in the overall story. 

Regarding the story itself, it is a really good addition to the Little Nightmares lore and makes you want to learn more about the game and the world you are exploring. However, certain points of the game lacked clarity and I would not have known what to do if not for Dr. Google. This again ruined my immersion of the game and it became a chore to finish the 3-5 hours of the game. If not for my original interest in the franchise I personally would have stopped playing and switched my game. 

Furthermore, certain sections of the game required the user to listen around the world for the quietest of cues to progress. This means for those who have trouble hearing or play on low volume, would be unable to progress. It took me over 20 minutes to solve a simple puzzle that would have taken minutes if I have the sound on full. I find this a huge drawback for those who are hard of hearing or do not wish to deafen themselves with in game audio screaming in their ears.

Overall, if not for my existing interest in the franchise and my knowledge of the game I would not have stuck through and completed the game. Playing through it for me was a struggle and I would have much rather watched a playthrough online than play it first-hand. 

Comments