Short Story: Encounter with a Black Eyed Child

Encounter with a Black Eyed Child

By Rebecca Milne


They want me to be ok, they tell me it was nothing, but I know what I saw. I saw it. I’ve been stuck in this asylum for months and they go through the “it’s not real” talk every day. Every day I want to believe it but every day they find their way back into my mind. I feel more vulnerable wearing white. They’ll find me again easy. I only caught a glimpse last time, this time our game of hide and seek will finally be finished. He will have found me.

I peak out of the pane of glass that looks out onto the corridor. Other asylum patients are asleep but as I gaze out, the light flickers. A voice springs at the back of my head. “Where are you?” It asks. It’s looking for me. It’s going to find me. Its voice calls again, closer and higher pitch. “Where are you?” I think I hear footprints bit I see no one there. I hear it laugh, its horrid childish laugh. “I know where you’re hiding” I shake uneasily but do not dare move a muscle. It’s here.

I feel a gust of wind from behind me, everything feels cold. I hear a voice sounding like it’s directly in front of me “found you”. I notice now the demonic child is near me. I turn around with my eyes closed and when I open them, I fall into the darkness of its face. It laughs but not move its mouth. It smiles up at me, grinning and with its big black eyes staring into mine.

“Hello old friend, how did you find me?” I ask. The voice appears again as the child is still grinning and reaching up to touch my shoulder. “I’ll always find you, you’ll always let me in. I know you” I shudder and blink but the child is gone.

“Where are you?” I call. That horrid laugh begins again. Taunting me. I start screaming. I cannot seem to get its whirlpool to oblivion like eyes out of my head. The psychiatrists are worried about me.

I tell them “it’s a game”. I tell them “they’re a friend”, “an old friend”. When they ask why I always say the same story I simply say

“That’s what he keeps telling me”.

I’m in the room and talking to the doctor but then the light flickers again and slowly I hear the voice again. “You didn’t find me… I found you. Shall we play a different game?” it seems to be coming from the corner of the room but that’s ridiculous, surely the doctor would have heard it. Unless…

The white coat starts becoming black and as I look at its face it changed to a childlike grinning face with massive demonic black eyes. The creature asks again, whilst staring and grinning at me from across the room.

“Shall we play a different game?” its shrill high voice penetrates my mind. I no longer have any other choice than to play the demonic child’s game, I am not myself after all and I cannot escape my asylum or this prison. I am trapped…

Comments