My Favourite Movie (A well guarded secret)



So for those that don't know by now, I like Shaun of the Dead. I'd go as far as to say it's my favourite movie ever - not just horror (and if you've ever talked to me about movies you already know this)! 

I wanted to review Shaun of the Dead, but since I’m a little bit biased, here’s what I did:

I asked a friend of mine to watch the movie with me, for her first viewing of it, so I could get a fresh perspective on the film. When I asked her afterwards, she said her favourite scenes were the infamous Record Throwing scene, the two parallel “shop run” scenes, and the “Don’t Stop Me Now” scene. These are some of the most interesting scenes from a production standpoint too, so I’m going to talk about them one by one, and pick apart what makes them great (in my opinion).

 

But first, a bit of trivia. George A Romero loved the movie so much, and the way that it made homage to his “of the dead” series, that he asked Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright to cameo in 2005’s “Land of the Dead” as zombies!

 

The record throwing scene is a brilliant way to work in a ton of music references – it’s lead into by a scene called “Funky Pete” in the scene selection of the movie (named so because they replaced every F Bomb with the word “funk” in some releases). The records that were and were not allowed to be thrown in the scene were all great choices, as were the ones they decided to chuck - and the line about Sade being Liz’s nicely ties in Shaun still clinging to his relationship with Liz. As stated in an interview with the Guardian, Simon Pegg actually asked permission from the lead of Dire Straits to have them throw a specific album of theirs, but unfortunately it didn’t come to much. Sade however apparently allowed them to “trash Diamond Life [the Sade album thrown] without hesitation”.

 

The effect used when Mary falls onto the garden umbrella holder is phenomenal (they did a behind the scenes comparison and the amount of effects work it took is something to be admired) and is one of the most realistic looking gore effects in the movie, while remaining less graphic than the fare of many other similar horrors. This seen is both visual spectacle – on a small scale – and comedic timing at it’s finest. I won’t spoil the jokes for you if you haven’t seen it, but each one flows very well and they all have both an element of “if you know you know”, while remaining funny to anyone who doesn’t get it thanks in massive part to the delivery.

 

The Shop Run scene is one of the most interesting from a behind the scenes perspective – the story that’s been passed around via interviews (and then by fact channels and compilations etc) is that Edgar Wright being a fledgeling director in the world of movies was looked at with little respect by a large part of the crew – apparently not believing he could pull off some of what he was setting out to do. As such, Wright filmed both versions of the Shop Run scene within the same day to prove his directorial chops, and the near identical nature of the street between the two scenes is something to behold. Wright stated in the same Guardian article previously mentioned that it was inspired by a late night shop trip after playing the Zombie game “Resident Evil.” He said: “I was taken with how deserted and eerie the streets were”. It shows Wright’s eye for detail in set and also in character moments, and it sets up a similar style of parallels that follow in many of his movies (and mesh well with his repeat/running jokes, for example Pete’s catchphrase and “you’ve got red on you”).

 

Finally, the Don’t Stop Me Now scene is the reason I even know about the movie to begin with. The choreography is phenomenal and the synched up combat to the beat would be amazing already – and then you add in the fact that it’s actually a Queen song in this zombie comedy, and you get what amounts to be one of the greatest scenes in zombie and horror history. The slapstick is both grounded and yet also absurd, the part where even David flipping switches is to the music – it blends music and action in a way Edgar Wright is truly the master of. To finish off this post, I should add that they were already settled on “Don’t Stop Me Now” being in the scene before they’d even asked if it could be. Simon Pegg sent a letter to Brian May (guitarist of Queen) and “he was lovely about it” which makes me very happy, knowing it wasn’t just an exchange of money but of actual passion for the craft and Brian May just generally being a lovely bloke.

 

So there are my thoughts on Shaun of the Dead based on a prompt of three scenes which my friend enjoyed the most when I made her watch it, like I make all my friends watch it. If you thought this movie sounded good and you somehow haven’t seen it I’d suggest checking it out!

Also, here's the article by The Guardian that reiterates a lot of what's said here - I personally learned much of it from video essays and word of mouth but when looking around for sources I found this article to be more reputable than "some YouTuber I watch".

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/may/04/shaun-of-the-dead-edgar-wright-simon-pegg-how-we-made-zombie-classic

Comments